Thursday, August 04, 2011

Titbits

IMG_2038

I have invested in a new soldering station.  My antex was increasingly showing it’s age and will now be retired for purely electrical soldering and my cheap variable temp iron was just that, cheap and nasty so this will be filed under B for bin.  The new one is provides a temp controlled iron with digital readout from 150 deg (for low melt solder) to 400 (for some serious, some might call it ‘extreme’ soldering) and 60W of power – plenty for 009!

There are a myriad of bits you can buy, but for now I have a pointy detail one and a bevel bit.  I may well invest in a blade style bit soon too.  So far I am very happy with the build quality and it looks to be a sensible investment at about half the cost of an ersa.

IMG_2039

The other project is a way to avoid the damp of the garage, by moving major parts of the layout into the loft, which is boarded nicely ready.  However the hatch isn’t big enough to get the 2ft wide boards up there, so I had a look tonight and discovered that widening it won’t too difficult – a weekend project I think.

No comments: