Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bearing up

Latest progress on the mystery loco. Half moon shapes removed to assist pony truck swivel and holes for bearings reamed out ready to take the bearings.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Paternity leave modelling

Baby and mum asleep so modelling can be done.

Firstly I installed the new section on the question mark board to mirror the extra foot added to the station approach. I have decided to make this hinged so that access to the layout can be attempted by thin people without requiring a duck under (with the inevitable bang of heads!). A simple mating piece was screwed onto the next board to meet this hinged section. A brass bolt (or 2) will secure it in place.

I then soldered on the roofs for carrs 24, 2043 and 102. 102 required its roof cutting from sheet brass first and also had filler dropped in to the domed end which will be shaped once dry.

Finally I removed a few pieces from frets, cleaned them up and created a radiused fold in a loco kit - any guesses which one?

Monday, September 26, 2011


Have spent quite a while studying the backwoods B class instructions. A few observations:
- the method of attaching cranks to the axles is far superior - the plastic friction fit pieces will avoid the wheel centre melting problem!
- in fact the wheels come (along with a gear wheel) installed on their axles
- the kit uses a live body arrangement with insulated wheels one side. This will require some careful work to isolate the motor from the body for DCC.
- the method for clamping the cranks prior to lamination usong 12BA bolts on the frets is very clever
- the kit looks like a perfect one for the novice

I've also been studying the differences between the kit and the B class being modelled - no. 19. These are:

- tender!
- no lamp on roof and whistle very different, not on roof but with hole in roof for steam to escape
- a different front lamp
- a taller less wide toolbox
- no coal rails
- extra feed to bottom of dome
- extra pipes on smokebox
- different patterns of rivets on body side (but I can't be bothered to alter these)
- specific numberplates etc (being etched for me by narrow planet)

Have started by doing all the riveting (using Dad's special nails plus hammer method) and cutting out the frames.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Look what the postman brought


It is with regret that I announce that Rhyd Ddu will now not be able to attend the Sparsholt exhibition in April 2012.

I’m part of a bid team for a st***ard gauge rail franchise which will be finalised in April 2012, and it is therefore it is going to be too difficult to exhibit Rhyd Ddu at the same time.

This is a real shame as I had been really looking forward to the event but you can of course still enjoy the modern WHR in model form at Sparsholt, courtesy of our friends at Bron Hebog.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Gee whizz, Gee Dee

Today I visited Gee Dee models as I was in Nottingham for business. It's been a while since I've been in but it remains an excellent shop. I made the following purchases:

- a new mek pak bottle.
- 4 buffer stops to finish off the hidden sidings board
- and this can of paint. Now why would I need that?

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Joining up

Tonight all the hidden sidings feeds were attached to the DCC bus bars and then the continuity tested with the help of a DC controller and a zillertalbahn diesel (chosen as my DC test loco). All worked well.

I also cut a block of acrylic sheet to become the base of the improved water tower

Monday, September 05, 2011

Nice pair!

Here are the hudsons with footboards and seats fitted. The roofs are not yet fixed to aid painting/the addition of people.

Now these will sit on the 'nearly' pile waiting for the etched mini doors promised to me by narrow planet.

Friday, September 02, 2011


All the hidden sidings track is now nailed down and wire has been poked through ready for feeds to be soldered on this weekend.