Sunday, January 21, 2007

Showtime!

Hi all,

Visited Warwick show yesterday, and this is what I found....

Clarendon in P4 - gorgeous stock, love that lined LNWR stuff, very nice station building canopy...the curved area at the other end was not quite as good, but clearly a quality layout. 9/10 (tempted to drop it a point 'cos it's P4, but I'll let it off on this occasion. Just would seriously annoy me if I can some LNWR OO stock, which I couldn't run on it!!)

Vine Street. O gauge - immaculate locos and stock and with sound!!! Cool. Cracking scenery around the bridge (see photo above) too. See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCs3Gmq1tw that I took on my digicam for a sense of it - just needs smoke machines and it'd be perfect. 9.5/10

Sutton Folly. what was cool about this layout was that kids were operating it (any kids attending the show) from a position in front of the layout. Too many people in our hobby put down kids, by adding 'this is a scale model, not a toy; and associated nonsense to their models. The kids love it and frankly if our hobby is to survive into the future, these kids are our market.

Some nice scenery on Dalmally.

N gauge now. Gordano Bridge and my does this layout have some bridges - must be about 10 separate bridges on the layout!!

Narrow gauge!!! Hooray!!! South Arpafeelie Mining Co in 16mm scale. Big, heavy (apparently) and quite nice. Just one loco doing a loop, nice though and good trackwork which looked like the real thing would have been - i.e. not in any way perfect!

Otherwise the show was good. A decent selection of traders - 247, mercian, squires etc and I picked up a few tools and bits...
Overall show rating = 7.5/10 would have been much higher with some 009 or 0-16.5 interest!


No comments: